Nothing is better than a burger that has been hit with a little smoke and then seared right before coming off the grill. The smoke enhances the natural beef flavor of the patties and works really well with the cheddar cheese.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef chuck 80/20
- 4 slices cheddar cheese optional
- 4 burger buns
- Assorted burger toppings
Smoked Burger Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Preheat your Z Grills pellet smoker to 225 °F.
- Shape your ground beef into 4 patties, about 1/2 inch larger in diameter than your burger buns.
- 3. In a small bowl combine the burger seasoning and sprinkle on both sides of your burger patties.
- 4. Place the seasoned patties on the grill and smoke for up to 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of your burgers reads 135 °F.
- 5. Increase the heat of your grill to the high setting (at least 400 °F). Sear the burger patties for about 2-3 minutes on both sides. Add cheese after the first flip, if desired.
- 6. Check the temperature of your burger patties for desired doneness. The FDA recommends 165 °F for a well done burger.
- 7. Remove the burger patties and toast the buns over high heat. Assemble your smoked burgers on your toasted buns with any desired toppings and serve immediately.