Nothing is better than a burger that has been hit with a little smoke and then seared right before coming off the grill. The smoke enhances the natural beef flavor of the patties and works really well with the cheddar cheese.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef chuck 80/20
- 4 slices cheddar cheese optional
- 4 burger buns
- Assorted burger toppings
Smoked Burger Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Preheat your Z Grills pellet smoker to 225 °F.
- Shape your ground beef into 4 patties, about 1/2 inch larger in diameter than your burger buns.
- In a small bowl combine the burger seasoning and sprinkle on both sides of your burger patties.
- Place the seasoned patties on the grill and smoke for up to 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of your burgers reads 135 °F.
- Increase the heat of your grill to the high setting (at least 400 °F). Sear the burger patties for about 2-3 minutes on both sides. Add cheese after the first flip, if desired.
- Check the temperature of your burger patties for desired doneness. The FDA recommends 165 °F for a well done burger.
- Remove the burger patties and toast the buns over high heat. Assemble your smoked burgers on your toasted buns with any desired toppings and serve immediately.
Check out Best Smokers for Beginners!