PREP TIME:30 MINS COOKING TIME: 150 MINS RESTING TIME:30MINS TOTAL TIME:210 MINS
Why not take your turkey outdoors this year and free up the oven space during this holiday season? The cooking process is quick and easy, but the delicious result will wow your guests.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (14 lb) whole fresh
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your smoker to 375 °F.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, smoked paprika, poultry seasoning, ancho chile powder, ground cumin, and kosher salt.
- Remove the giblets and neck. Dry your turkey well with paper towels.
- Cut out the backbone of a cleaned turkey, flip the turkey over and press the breast down to flatten it out.
- Trim any excess fat and tuck wing tips under the turkey.
- Heavily apply the spice mixture under the skin and over the top of the skin.
- Coat grill grate with cooking spray.
- Place turkey, skin side up, on the grate. Cover and grill until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of thigh registers 160 °F, rotating turkey 90 degrees every 30 minutes. The cooking process will take about 2 1/2 hours.
- Place turkey on a cutting board. Tent it under foil for 30 minutes. Remove skin before carving.